Friday, January 27, 2012

Learning in Action

Last night was Parent-Teacher Conferences at M&J's elementary school.  One of my favorite things about going to these is that there is always a folder for each of my kids with their work in it.  They draw pictures for me to see.  They write reports.  They get to show off what they have been working on in class.  They get super-excited to show me, and I love to watch their faces light up as I "Oooh" and "Ahhh" over each page. :)  Such confidence-building moments.  I love that.


Here are some exhibits of their imaginations at work:


First Jake - (it says, "In the winter I like to  sled").  Just in case you couldn't see that part. :)





I love this one because when asked what he was really good at AND what he wanted to do better at, he bubbled the same answer! :)  Funny boy. He also told me that the picture of what he likes to do at recess is of him sliding.  He was pretty stoked about this. :)  It was really cute. :)


Next, Morgan - (She has a lot more because she is doing more independent work.  Jake's folder mostly contained test results.  I wish it would have had more of his work in it. :( )  



A report on Polar Bears.  She LOVES learning about animals.  On one page she talks about something this animal does and then wrote, "Isn't that CRAZY!"  Funny girl.


This next one is a book review on Charlotte's Web.  





Lastly was this note to me, and a short story. Love this little writer.  She is getting pretty good at expressing herself through writing.  I love that!  And I love that it gives me a window to what goes through that deep-thinking mind of hers.  She is also a fantastic reader. Her teacher told me that she is reading on a 3rd grade level.  Smart girl.  She told her teacher that she just started reading Anne of Green Gables.  It was so cute to see the connection she has with her.  I am SOOO glad she was blessed to get Mrs. Bahr this year.


Before I end, I also wanted to post these of the girls.  I purchased some animal fact flash cards at the Target Dollar-Spot, and these girls, particularly Abby LOVE them.  They get them out daily...no lie.  My kids are total animal lovers.  But really, are there any kids that aren't?  Well probably some, but not in this house. :)  





I love that Claire is showing one to Daisy.  So  funny. :)  I wonder what Daisy is thinking sometimes.

3 comments:

Kasey Lighten said...

sometimes i woder what daisy is
thinking too

Maughan"sters" said...

Luke wrote that he likes to chase girls at recess!! I guess Jake doesn't join him in that?!?!

Nikki said...

Such smart kids!!! And I agree, that picture of Daisy is just adorable.