Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dawning of a New Year

This was the view from my kitchen window the other morning as we began a new year....2012.
Is that not just so incredible??  Very symbolic of what I had been thinking about...the dawning of a new year.


I always love December and all the magic, family, and love that part of the year brings...but I am always so glad when it is all over because it brings a lot of extra work and stress with it.  This year we spent a lot of the week after Christmas organizing, doing projects, and trying to squeeze in more family time as well.  I am going to be honest.  It was a rough week for me.  Mostly I think because there was so much Trev and I wanted to get accomplished before he went back to work, family in town we wanted to see, and because I had a lot of primary stuff that I needed to do to prepare for the 1st Sunday. I also had a lot of stuff to do to get our family setting goals and getting back on track for the new year.  It left me feeling pretty stressed, and honestly like I felt as though I didn't even get a break at all.
Monday morning, the last day before the kids went back to school and Trev went back to work I pretty much had a "mom-meltdown."  You know, the kind where you lock yourself in the bathroom and cry for a while, as the rest of your family wonders what has become of you. :)  I told my sweet husband my feelings to which he empathized, and then lovingly offered to try and help.  He promised me that at 3:45 p.m. that night we would stop whatever we were doing, take the kids on a walk, and go out to dinner.  Just get some family time with just us.  That was EXACTLY what I needed.  We did just that and it was so great.  Like, really great.  I am just grateful for a husband who knows me and who helps me see the forest through the trees.  Love you sweetheart.


On our walk, we talked to the kids about Honesty (the value we want to focus on teaching them in January).  Then we ate at Pizza Pie Cafe...YUM!  Then next morning the kids trotted off to school, Trev headed back to work, and the girls and I began the routine, once again. It has been really nice to get back into the swing of things...kind of like the calm after the storm. :)  


With everyone back to normal (a relative term) I wanted to take a minute and post our family and individual goals for the upcoming year.  Time to get working. :)  Again. :)


Lighten Family Goals 2012:
1.  Spiritual - Read 5 Book of Mormon verses together a day. Try to get to Alma 15.
2. Educational - Study America.  This year we want to teach our kids about our government, history, etc.  With it being a Presidential Election year we thought it would be fun to teach them about this great country we are blessed to live in.
3. Physical - Complete 1 bike ride/hike/swim/race/etc. together as a family a month.
4. Service - Once a month do something special for the poor and/or the needy (emotionally, physically, temporally, whatever).


Kids Goals:
Morgan-
1. Spiritual - Read 1 verse of the Book of Mormon each night before bed.
2. Educational - Learn to cook.  Make one new recipe each month.
3. Physical - Be able to swim the entire length of the pool without touching the ground or stopping.
4. Service - Begin fasting on Fast Sunday and donate money to fast offerings to help the poor.


Jake-
1. Spiritual - Learn about the following prophets: King Benjamin, Nephi, Lehi, Joseph Smith, and Thomas S. Monson.
2. Educational - Learn about sea life (sharks, fish, dolphins, whales, barracudas, etc).
3. Physical - Learn how to rollerblade and play street hockey.
4. Service - Help keep weeds out of one of our neighbors yard that has major health issues.


Trev-
I can't remember all of his...except to be able to do 6 dead-hang pull-ups...he can currently do 2. :)


Me - 
1. Spiritual - Ask for my Saviors' help more often.  Don't try to lean so much on my own understanding.  Invite the Savior into my everyday.
2. Educational - Document my family.  Do at least 1 blog post a week.  Increase my knowledge and ability in Photography.  I am getting a new camera this year and I with that I want to increase my skill level.  Particularly in shooting indoors.  I love my outdoor pictures...but my indoor ones don't seem to turn out as well.  Learn more about healthy eating...eat less meat.
3. Physical - Run at least 1 half marathon.  Add a lifting class at least once a week.  Maybe get pregnant. :)  We'll see....no I am not currently pregnant. :)  Just thinking about it.
4. Service - Become the "Eye of the Storm" in my home.  I realize I need to be more patient and loving with my kids.  I need to let them enjoy their childhood and not let that slip away.  So I will be focusing on my family more this year.  I also want to become an expert cinnamon roll maker...I have tried this numerous times and it hasn't worked...they NEVER rise right!  I will figure this out this year. :)  More of a service to my family than self because I can't eat those. :)


So there we are.  Ready to charge ahead.  Can't wait to see what this year has in store for us.  Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Maughan"sters" said...

So, what are you going to do with your old camera!?!? I just looked at your pictures and was thinking of good they were!!
So, are you going to be BIG at the beach?!?!? Glad you took pics at the game too! That was definitely a great night...one to hopefully repeat again!