Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Make it Monday and a Birthday Boy

Summer has started, and the Annual Lighten Adventure Camp has begun.

The basic run down of what we are doing is this.

Each day we all (the kids and I) have daily jobs we need to do.
The categories of jobs are: Reading, Writing, Practice, Home/Zone, and Physical.

Once those are completed for the day, we have a fun theme for each day that we do something in.

Make-it Monday
Take-A-Trip Tuesday
Wet Wednesday
Thinking Thursday
Friend/Family Friday

(for more info on this go to www.powerofmoms.com)

No I did not come up with this all on my own. Wish I had though. :)

As I approached this summer, I wanted it to be fun.  Carefree.  Relaxing.

But I also wanted us accomplishing.  Growing. Progressing.  Learning.

So back in May, Trev and I went for a walk.  We talked about all our kids individually, and what we thought their strengths were, and what are some things they could work on.

It was so helpful to have both our opinions on this because my husband recognized things I hadn't and vice versa.  Involving each other and working as a team helps so much.

So the themed-days were determined by those things we discussed.  

I felt so ready!

Then summer hit.  Camp was underway.  We were having some success, however, it wasn't easy finding the balance between fun, carefree, and relaxing vs. working hard, learning, growing.

It was hard.  But I am happy to say that on Monday I had an "AH-HA" day!

It was Make-it Monday.  I have to say this is one that in the past I have let slide by because I am not super-into-crafting.  I kind of like it, but don't like that the projects don't usually turn out like I want, and because it usually involves more messes.  Something I don't love either.

But this year I decided I needed to make this day a priority.  Why?

Because my sweet ML IS super-into-crafting.  She loves it actually.  She is such a creative mind.  She is talented at it too!  Her stuff turns out great!  This special strength of hers must have come from Trev's side.  They are super-crafty-crafters!  Especially with fabric.

So it may come as no suprise that the favorite Lighten craft usually involves sewing.  ML has been begging me lately to sew.

So this Make-it Monday we sewed!  Thanks to my dear friend Michelle and her daughter Olivia, sharing their talents and supplies with us.  ML made an uber-cute skirt! Then my friend made her a bracelet to go with it, and curled her hair.  I helped the girls with whatever I could and took pictures...something I am good at.  A craft that I enjoy. :)  The younger ones just played on the slip-and-slide for about 1000 hours straight.




























What a great time we had!  

The best part for me was seeing one of my daughter's strengths truly being nurtured.  I LOVE that she loves to create.  Even if it is in a way that is different from me.  I saw my daughter's potential.  Who she is.  What she is becoming.  And I could not have been prouder.  Perhaps this is something we can learn together.  Seeing her love for it, made me enjoy it so much more.  

Who knows, maybe she might just pass on the Lighten seamstress talent to me. :)

Sure love this girl and had a great day crafting with her and amazing friends.

After the sewing-fest, we came home, grabbed a quick bite to eat, and headed to this amazingly fun, and beautiful park in Alpine for my nephew, Preston's birthday party.  They live in Idaho so we don't often get to celebrate birthdays with those little guys.  I wish I had taken more pictures of them, but my camera battery died about half-way through the party. :(

But here is what I got at least.  
















How blessed I am to be in such a fun and loving family.  Sure love the Lightens!

Happy Birthday big boy!

Here's to more Make-it Mondays. :)

Summer is the best!


No comments: