Friday, December 14, 2012

Mommy Paychecks

Do you ever have times where you wonder "Are they getting ANY of this??!!"

I am striving to be a fiercely devoted mother.  A mother who knows.  A mother who tries to teach her children.  A mother who prays they get the blatant AND subliminal messages I am trying to send them about life.  I go to great lengths to raise them right and instill good values into their beings.

Yet often I wonder, is any of this sinking in?  Are they getting ANY OF IT??!!

Will they ever stop hitting their siblings?

Will they ever eat a meal without grossing others out with their work-in-process table manners?

Will they learn to sacrifice something they want for something better?  Or better yet, for someone else?

Can I really teach them all they need to know in the relatively short window of opportunity that I have to raise them?

Well...I am happy to report that today my spirits were heightened.  Those moments where your heart leaps inside of you because they
"GOT IT."


I like to call these "mommy paychecks."

It started out with Jake running late, and Morgan asking me if she could make his lunch because she is his secret friend this week.  

It then went to his smile and affectionate hug to his sister for genuinely helping him in his moment of need.

Then it was Abby and Claire playing together all day.  Happy as can be.  No friends, just each other.  And loving every minute of it.

I got another paycheck a couple of days ago when Jake quickly rescinded and apologized for a snippy comment he made to me...without me even reminding him to watch his tone.  It was genuine repentance and a desire to be good.

It was tonight when sitting with my little girls reading a longer book without constant interruptions and they even noticed when the character was sad.  And when they understood why he was sad.

Lastly, it came about 15 minutes ago when I sat with my Morgan and we talked openly about things she was struggling with but holding inside.  One of those moments you are so glad you are there for, because not only do you get a chance to get inside her deep thinking head but you also know what she needs from you as her mother.  

What a payday I had.

Motherhood is truly grand.

No comments: