Sunday, December 23, 2012

Learning Something New and Piano Recital

So I did something I have wanted to do for a long time!  We purchased a piano and Morgan and I started piano lessons!!!

Growing up I took piano for a little while.  I would half-heartedly practice on our old lime green piano with my mom hounding me to play the right notes instead of "inventing" my own songs. :)  

It didn't take long for me to quit piano.  Since becoming an adult I began to greatly regret that decision.

So in college I took a piano class.  I would practice in the dorms, but then not having a piano at home to play I quickly lost the information I had learned again.

Over the years I have told Trev I want to get a piano and give it another go.  It wasn't until this year that we got serious about it. Why you may ask?  Because Morgan was old enough to start too!  Isn't it funny how your kids make you want to be better? :)

I started scouring KSL classifieds, and after a few months, and a couple trips to piano stores we found a great deal on a used piano. I originally planned to buy an old, crappy looking one and refinish it.  Then I found a nice looking one for $500, great condition, and decided to leave it as is.  I LOVE it!

Shortly after that I enrolled Morgan in my friends' piano lessons.  We went to her first lesson and I was hooked.  I called my friend a few days later and said I wanted in to. :)  I could even wait until my first practice, so I started playing from Morgan's beginner book!

I have been LOVING IT!  I enjoy playing and practicing.  I am realizing it will help me in so many ones - one way in particular I am seeing is that it gives me practice in having lots of things going on at once and having to stay focused to know what to do next.  I struggle with this.  I think piano will help me stay focused amidst chaos. :)

So without further adue - here are the pictures from our very first recital!  Morgan played Jolly Old St. Nicholas and Away in a Manger.  Then I played When Christmas Comes to Town (The Polar Express) and Morgan sang.  Nerve-wracking but oh so fun, and exhilarating.

Here is the pre-performance reassurances and pep talks. :)


My cute cousin Jordan, return missionary brother Kyle, and his adorable family friend Mallory all came to support us. :)



Gotta love those cheesy-smiles.  Trev was the photographer of the night and did a great job!  Especially capturing the little moments.







Morgan worried about having made a couple mistakes in her first song.  Me telling her how wonderful it was and that no one noticed. :)






Me asking Morgan and the audience if I could start over as my song was spiraling downward rather quickly...after laughs all around we began again. :)  Take 2 was splendid! :)




Me and Morgan with our fun teacher Erica Farmer.  Love her!  She makes it fun for Morgan and encourages me to push myself...and even helps me to not feel to dorky for being the ONLY adult student. ;)

I love learning something new and there is nothing better that learning something you love alongside your daughter.  So grateful we can experience this together. :)

No comments: