Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Effects of Yoga and Ladybugs

I began my day with Yoga.  This is the second time in a long time that I have done this.  I think it here to stay.  


Reasons why -  A) I found a teacher that I LOVE.  Her class is challenging, relaxing, and not-as-Kumbaya as other Yoga classes I have gone to.  Sometimes those deep-thinking quotes from Confucious are the just about the last thing that I want spouted to me at 6 am.  Just let me enjoy my own thoughts for crying out loud!  But not this girl.  No weird chants, music, or poetry reading.  Just relaxation, great stretching and strengthening, and I love the tall Ikea lamp that provides the only light in the room.  It reminds me of something out of a Dr. Seuss book.  Very Zen right? :)
B) It starts my day off slow and controlled.  It slowly wakes up my body and mind.  I like that, as opposed to other exercises where you go and have to be ready to move within minutes!    
C) I get to soak in my favorite time of the day.  It is right about 7:10 am when I drive home.  My route usually takes me up the backside of our little mountain and all along the drive there are STUNNING views of the whole valley, the mountains lined with morning light, and the sky all different shades of pink.  It is just breathtaking!  I TRULY believe it is the most beautiful time of the day.  Is this getting a little Kumbaya?  Maybe, but I really, really love it.


And all this even before my day really gets started!  I come home in a very invigorated, very "Zen" mood.  Like I said, Yoga on Thursday mornings is probably here to stay. :)


Next up, pre-school rush, scripture-study over breakfast (we are currently reading about King Benjamin's General Conference.  Perfect timing for us to prepare for this weekend. :))
After family prayer, dropping off the kids at school because they have cupcakes for their teachers that I don't want squashed on the walk there, everyone's out the door but me and my little girls.  They watch Pink Dinky Doo and Max and Ruby, I get ready and ponder how blessed I am.  Reading Stephanie Neilson's blog (www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com) will do that to you.  Seriously, if you ever start thinking you have it bad...just go visit NieNie. :)


After cutting out leaves for a craft in Jake's classroom, we are out.  I get to spend some time in Jake's class and watch him beaming about the fact that I am there.  How I wish I could do this more. :(


When we got home we had lunch, played a bit in the backyard and went to investigate the "ladybug colony" I noticed earlier.  My kids LOVE ladybugs. :)  Can you tell? (Pictures taken on my phone, so excuse the fuzzy).








This is what Yoga does to you.  You are calm and focused enough to recognize the beauty around you, and specifically how many blessings you have.  Like the fact that I have healthy, happy kids who enjoy ladybugs.  Yoga does for me what ladybugs do for my kids.  Does that make any sense?

1 comment:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Oh man! I *hate* yoga!! It is the hardest workout for me. I would rather do anything than yoga. But, I'm glad it is working for you. You give me hope that maybe, one day, I'll eventually like it too. :)