Friday, October 3, 2008

Day Three

After much deliberation we have decided to name the girls. We took into consideration several suggestions. Morgan wanted to name them Ni hao and Kai-lan, my Dad wanted to name them Cheryl and Barrel. However, we decied to go with names that are a little more traditional. Baby A is named Abigail Nell Lighten and Baby B is named Clarie Eliza Lighten (hopefully I got those spellings correct!)

The girls are now three days old and doing very well. They have already surpassed their Dad in the thickness of their hair. They have had no trouble breathing on their own since a couple of hours after birth. Their next big task is learning how to eat. They started off with miniscul amounts of Mother's milk and have tolerated it just fine. The staff will slowly increase the amount of milk each day. They are being supplemented with an IV of nutriants. It really is amazing to see the medical practice at work. Kasey and I have commented several times on how grateful we are that we live in an age and country with such advancement in health care.



Kasey came home from the hospital today. She was a little emotional as we drove away from the hospital leaving the babies behind. She will probably go up twice a day to hold and eventually feed the babies.



I saw something that really touched me yesterday. Kasey and I went to the NICU to hold the babies. The nurse put baby Claire against Kasey's chest and wrapped them tightly together with a blanket. For the first couple of minutes Claire kept looking up at Kasey making sweet baby sounds. I could tell that the familiarity of Mom came back to her and that Claire loved it. She then nestled her head against Mom and fell asleep. Seeing Kasey with her baby together like that was quite tender.

Below are a couple of videos that give a good size perspective of the girls. Thanks for all of your support and prayers.


18 comments:

Heather said...

oh, I have little tear sparkles! LOVE the names. I want to go see them soon!

Amy said...

Oh so super sweet! Thanks for the perspective, so very tiny! Love their name too. I can't wait to see your little tinies!

Leandra said...

OHHh Kasey it's so hard to leave them huh?!! :-( I'm so glad they're doing so well! I bet they'll be home even sooner than you'd think!! :-) LOVES

kimbo said...

Thanks for the update. They are so tiny, but look beautiful. That must be so difficult to leave them there in the hospital! But I love your perspective and gratitude for the medical profession. It truly is a blessing. We'll be praying for you guys. Wish we could see the babies. I'm sure they'll be walking around by the time we see you guys again! :)

Megan said...

Love their names too, so sweet! Thank you for the update, and perspective. I'm sorry Kasey, they'll be back so soon and they you will be more than busy! We love you guys, all SIX of you!

Becky O said...

Okay, here I go again with the crying (just like on Sunday). They are so beautiful and I am so glad your family has been blessed. I am also so happy to hear they are breathing on their own and doing well with the feeding. I know it must be hard to not be able to take them home yet. You let me know anytime you need someone to watch Morgan and Jake. I would love to have them over if you need to go the hospital or anything. Love ya.

Trish said...

Congrats!! Happy to hear that all is well! Cute names.

grammajill said...

I can't wait to see them again. The video is great. Love the names! No more A & B , now I need to remember who is who. Good thing that Clair weighs 3 oz. less than Abigail. It makes it so obvious! or is it Abby that is less than Clair? Oh Well!

Fausett Family said...

Congratulations Kasey and Trevor. I am glad to hear all is okay. It will go by so fast and soon you will be home with those sweet babies. We still miss you guys.

Kasey, don't forget to take time for you to recover. Love ya!

Kim said...

Congratulations. Your babies are beautiful we'll keep you in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What a blessing, Abigail and Claire are beautiful names and match beautiful girls. Twins are so fun and special. :)Can't wait to hear more from you. Love you!

Valarie said...

Congrats Lightens - the girls are beautiful! I'm so glad everything is going well and I hope to see you soon!

Loni said...

They are beautiful!!! I will continue to think about you and those sweet babies!!!

The Moore Family said...

Congratulations!!! I love the names. Hope things continue to go well.

Maughan"sters" said...

I love looking at the pictures on your blog because they are so little! Keep posting more pics!! I hope all is going well. Please let us help with something!

Loni said...

You never posted anything about the size and weights of the girls... just curious. Hope all is well and they are growing stronger everyday!!!

The Foulgers said...

Oh my gosh, congratulations! I had no idea! I have been out of touch with my blog for a while with the move and all. They are beautiful! I'm glad they are doing well. I'll check in with you guys in a few days! Take care! xoxo

Erin+Marc = Ethan&Aidan said...

They are beautiful, just like their mommy! Love the names!