Monday, August 29, 2011

What summer means to me...

Last week my oldest daughter started 2nd grade.  Tomorrow my only boy starts Kindergarten.  So tonight, I am a little reflective.  My thoughts are a bit scattered, but I wanted to take a moment and write my feelings. 

First, it is hard to believe my little boy is starting Kindergarten.  I feel like I missed him as a baby.  When he was 2 months old, we moved to Utah from Las Vegas.  He was the most easy-going baby EVER (in our house anyway).  Most of the time he would just hang out and watch what was going on around him.  His face would light up with sheer joy when someone would walk by him.  Other than that, he mostly just hung out.  So since he was easy, and I was busy trying to get our lives and home established in a new state, I don't feel like I got to spend much time with him.  Then when he was 2, the twins were born.  Given the roller-coaster that was, again, I didn't get to spend much time with him.  And now here I am, the night before he leaves for school, on one hand very excited for him, but fighting back tears...(that are now flowing by the way) knowing that from here on out, my time with him will only continue to shrink.  I keep begging him not to leave me, but he assures me that he has to.  I know that he is an independent boy and I don't feel as though he has been neglected in any way.  It's just that I will miss him.  Sorry to be so sappy...just emotional thinking about my boy.  I just love that kid so much.  

On to my next thoughts.  This summer just flew by.  I am not ready for it to end.  I always think that summer is going to be so laid back and we will just spend all our time by the pool and being together.  Every summer I am disappointed at how fast the time goes by.  So given my melancholy mood I thought I would post some pictures of this summer that remind me how much fun we had and that we did in fact, spend lots of time together.  So here's to SUMMER FUN!
















   
Thanks for indulging my pity party.  We all need one of those now and then...now off to bed.  Good night.

6 comments:

Brandon said...

I was fine about letting Luke go until I read your post!! Those boys have a special place in a mom's heart...Good luck and at least he is only gone half day, so the other half, you can spend time with him.

Brandon said...

(This is the Maughans, but Brandon is singed into his google account :)

Nikki said...

I love all the fun family things you did this summer!

The Foulgers said...

I love this post Kasey, it is so hard to let our kiddos get bigger. I can't believe Jake is starting kindergarten, that blows my mind. I totally remember him being a baby when you left Las Vegas. Really where has the time gone?:)

Lindsay and Mike said...

Summer always goes way too fast. It looks like you had a good one though. I know how you feel about your second child. It seems like I've spent the least one-on-one time with Aiden. Kind of sad. I need to be better about planning one-on-one things with him, so he doesn't get "middle child syndrome." :)

Kata said...

loving seeing your darling family change.