Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Family Time

In our Church (LDS), our leaders have counseled us to take a night each week (usually Monday) where we spend time together as a family.  When Trev and I were first married, and even after we had Morgan, I looked at this counsel as a nice suggestion.  I saw it as a way to make sure we were spending time together.  Trev and I always want to be a family that follows the inspired counsel we recieve, so we have always tried to make this a priority.  It has not been until the last couple of years that I have come to realize this is more than just a nice suggestion, it is a necessity for our family!  Life comes at you fast, and often the things that are most important can get overlooked in the rush.  Our adult lives get so crazy/hectic these days, and I have come to realize some of the most therapeutic/rejuvenating moments for me involve spending quality time with my husband and kids.  It buoys me up to be with them.  So now, we look at Family Night as mandatory.  I need this time with my family and they do as well.  I am grateful for that we followed this counsel.
Ok, enough said.  So a couple of weeks ago, I remember feeling particularly drained.  So Trev and I decided to take the kids out on a Friday night to go hike Bridal Veil Falls.  It is located in Provo Canyon, and it is truly stunning.  There is a nice, paved walkway with picnic benches on all sides, that lead up to the falls.  We have visited this place at least once every summer.  We love it here.  So we picked up some pizza, drove down, ate, and walked to the falls to play.  The walkway spans the bottom of the falls and so the kids can play at the base.  It is really great.  For those ready for more adventure, you can also hike up the side of the waterfall closer to the top.  I haven't done it, but one day, when the kids are older I would like to try it with them.  























 As I looked back over the pictures of our night together, it struck me (as it often does) what a wonderful father my children have.  I grew up mostly without a father, so when I was looking for a spouse, one of the top things I looked for was a man who loved children.  I wanted a great father for my kids, and thanks to the guidance of the Spirit, I found him.  Trev truly is a constant answer to my prayers.  I love him dearly and his children adore him.  He is the father to my kids, that I never had growing up.  I love this man tremendously.
 This little family outing was so fun...but the fun didn't stop there!  When we got home, a couple of our neighbors came over for smores in our fire pit, bocci ball tourney for the dads, and lots of playing in the backyard.  It was a great night.  Rejuvenating for everyone.  I love family time!


3 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Love Bridal Veil Falls! It was even more beautiful before the avalanche in 1997. I miss the way it used to look. It's still beautiful...just different from how I knew it as a child.

Heidi said...

Looks like you all had a perfect weekend.

Nikki said...

Awesome memories Kasey!!! I love the pics! Isn't Bridal Veil the best! I love the dock.