Monday, March 18, 2013

11th Wedding Anniversary Trip to Aspen, CO.

Feb. 16th marked 11 years of marriage for me and my honey.  Wahhoooo!!!

It is hard to believe really.  It doesn't seem that long, but time marches by so fast that I am not surprised either. :)

It seems to be becoming a tradition for us to take a trip somewhere celebrate.

1st year - Camping in Zion's Ntnl. Park, Hiking Angel's Landing, Spending a night in Vegas.

2nd Year - Eating our favorite Claim Jumper dishes while I lay in a hospital bed holding our brand-new baby girl, Morgan.  (She was born that day) :)

3rd Year - Caribbean cruise with TK friends.

4th Year - Trip to California, spending a night at a beach resort, eating at Ruby's Diner, and Whale/Dolphin watching.

5th Year - Trip to the Grand Cayman Islands, staying at the Ritz Carlton.

6th Year - Hiking in Zion's Ntnl. Park again, and heading to Vegas to see The Phantom of the Opera.

7th Year - Trip to Maui, all the kids came but it was still romantic. :)  Stayed at the Grand Wailea.  AMAZING!

8th Year - Mormon Trek with the Youth in our Stake to Martin's Cove.  Not totally anniversary but our kids were at home so it felt like a getaway. :)

9th Year - Trip to Newport Beach, California. Stayed at an amazing hotel/gym.  Hike "The Top of the World."  Went whale-watching.

10th Year - Trip to Europe!  Toured for 2 weeks in South France, Paris, and England.  A trip I will NEVER forget!

Whew!!  What an amazing 11 years it has been. How blessed we are.  Truly.

I sure like this little tradition we seem to have going. :)

For year 11, we headed to Aspen, Colorado!  My brother, Kevin, and his girlfriend, Caitlyn, live there and boy did they ever show us a good time!  Thanks to my cousin and her roommate who watched our kids, we were able to leave everything behind and just enjoy every minute of it. :)

Here is what we did:

1. Drove into town.  Gawked at the beautiful ski resorts - particularly Buttermilk, where Caitlyn works, and the X-Games are hosted each year.  The size of the jumps and the half-pipe were insane!  Headed to our hotel, where Caitlyn's sister gave us an INCREDIBLE deal.  Shawn White stays here when he comes to town.  Yeah...it was unreal.  





  
Did I mention it was Ski-in/Ski-out?  It was. :)

2.  Headed out to see the town.  We had never been here.  Checked out some art galleries.  Ate at a delicious Vegan restaurant that was nestled in the top of a bookshop.  So quaint and charming.  No we are not Vegan by the way. :)









3.  Headed back to get some shut-eye before a big day of snowboarding.  Not before hitting this place however, on top of the roof of our hotel!  (poor picture, but you get the idea). :)



4.  Next morning I stayed in the room to work on my photo book from our Europe trip.  Trev and Kevin hit the slopes.  Caitlyn and I joined them for lunch and she officially taught me how to snowboard!  I thought I already knew how, but boy was I wrong.  She was a ski/snowboard instructor for a long time, and within a few minutes of her tutelage  I was cruising!  It truly was priceless.  Makes me realize how valuable ski lessons are.  I will keep that in mind if/when we take our kids.  It made it so fun!











Me and my "big" little brother. :)  Love you Kev!  Even if Kristy and I did put you in the dryer as a kid. ;)

5.  Finish the day out with CP Burgers by an ice-skating rink, answered to Mick Jagger, and 
ate Smores' on the roof.  






6.  Next day, Trev snowboarded some more.  I worked on my book and toured the town.  He ended early, and we headed to the Maroon Bells Canyon.  Boy were we in for a treat!




























7.  Spent a wonderful meal with Kevin, Catelyn, and Abigail (not to be confused with Abby) :).  Great conversation, delicious food.  Sure love these guys!






The next morning, we ate the scrumptious breakfast one last time at our amazing hotel. Grabbed some M&M's for the road...



And drove away in the midst of a peaceful morning snowfall.






Oh Aspen how I will miss you.

Impressions of Aspen:
1.  Disneyland for adults.
2.  A bunch of ski bums catering to the uber-rich.
3.  Stunning and something everyone should see and experience at least once.
4.  A place we want to bring our kids back to.

Thank you Kevin, Catelyn, and Abigail for an amazing weekend we would not have be able to experience without you!  We love you guys!

Impressions after 11 great years of marriage:
1.  Love is eternal, if you work at it.
2.  Couple trips and amazing experiences together cement marital bonds.
3.  I look forward to eternity with my honey.
4.  I am the luckiest girl in the world!

Love you Trev!!!  More than words can say.

Happy Anniversary my one and only love!


3 comments:

Heidi said...

Aspen looks just wonderful. Glad you had such a great time

Kira said...

That looks amazing! SO fun to catch up with your family on here. Anniversary trips are so much fun! We took our first one on our 10th! it was so awesome! Trying to figure out what to do this year! Just celebrated 13. Hope you guys are well!

Cameron, Jenny and Family said...

I'm not a skier, but you just sold me on Aspen. Beautiful! Your trip sounds heavenly! You've had some really great trips through the years. That's an awesome little tradition you started. Happy Anniversary!!