Tuesday, October 7, 2008


Kasey holding the girls together for the first time

Tomorrow will be one week since our Abby and Claire were born. They are as healthy as we could hope for at this time. They are breathing on their own and are free from infection. We have been able to hold the babies every day.

We are starting to get an idea of what the next few weeks will be like. In short, the reason that the babies will be at the hospital for the next five to seven weeks is that they need to learn how to eat. They started off receiving almost all of their nutrients through an IV and very little of Kasey's milk. At this point they are about 50% IV and 50% Kasey's milk. Next week some time they will be getting all of their nutrients from Kasey's milk and they will take out the IV's. Sounds easy enough right? The only issue is that they are getting Kasey's milk through a feeding tube. Learning how to eat on their own is the next big hurdle. They will start by getting one feeding from Kasey per day. Once they can handle one they will move to two, then three, four, etc. Once they can feed entirly from Kasey for a full day and maintain their temperature without assistance they will be able to come home. Kasey will be more needed at the hospital as the weeks go by and will eventually need to stay there for a few days. We are so grateful that we have a good ward and family that are so willing to help with our needs at this time.

In the meantime we are trying to keep a schedule. Kasey goes to the hospital every day for a few hours. I go and hold them for an hour or so after work. We can take Morgan and Jake on the weekends, but that only lasts a few minutes before Jake starts messing with machines that are tracking the baby's vital health measurments.

Kasey and I agree that this is harder then we anticipated. While at the hospital we thought that we would kind of enjoy having some time to get prepared for the babies to come home. We would be able to get a full-night sleep and let someone else change the poopie diapers - all while knowing that the twins are getting the care they need. We have found, however, that we really want those girls here with us. The best way I can describe it is that our home feels empty without them. You are suppossed to come home with Mom and the babies. Leaving them at the hospital has been tough for us.

We are happy to know that when we are not at the hospital with them, the girls have each other. A couple of days ago they put Abby and Claire in the same crib. They are now kicking and poking each other all over again. I am sure that it is very comforting for them to be together like they are used to.
Thanks for all of your prayers and support.




Daddy and his three girls. I am in trouble.


10 comments:

Natalie said...

My computer crashes and as soon as I get reconnected I find out you have had your babies!! Oh my goodness, what a roller coaster of emotions for you guys! I am sooo happy to hear that they are doing well. It has to be so hard to go visit them. You guys are so blessed with your growing family. We will keep you and your little ones in our prayers! We look forward to more updates and pictures!

CL said...

What cute little girls! I can't imagine leaving them at the hospital and we too will keep your whole family in our prayers. We're right here in Provo so I'd be happy to take a turn watching your older two or doing anything that could help the next few months. Please let me know. I have the same e-mail or you can e-mail my g-mail account which is my whole name- no hyphens no spaces. Please let us help!!

Erica said...

We are so excited for you guys and can't wait to meet the little ones next time we are out there in Utah. We love the names-especially Claire!!! Good choice! They look so tiny and just so sweet! And Kasey-you look so beautiful, I can't believe that you just had TWO babies!! We are so happy to hear that the babies are doing so well! Keep us updated! We're thinking about you guys.

The Wents said...

We just found your blog and what amazing news we got to catch up on. The girls look beautiful. I can't believe how dark their hair looks. You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers and we'll hope for the best over the next few months.

Fausett Family said...

I'm so happy they are doing well. Morgan will be such a big help and a wonderful big sister.

Sheri said...

Your girls are beautiful. I am so glad to hear they are doing good. You look awesome after twins. Your sweet family is in our prayers. Hope they can come home soon.

Beck said...

Yay I found your blog! Trevor is doing a great job on keeping all of us posted. What an amazing story. I love the video footage. I cant wait till our little Alli comes. 2 weeks seems like such a long time after watching your videos. I want her to be here so bad. You girls are so sweet! I hope they get to come home soon to be with their Mommy ALL the time. :)

Amy said...

Such sweet photos! I love the girls hair, they have so much of it too. Preemies are hard and you have two. It does make your home feel empty I know.

It appears that they are doing really well, I am so glad!

NOPE said...

Hey Lightens. Its Gerry Zobrist. Great to see what you guys are up to and Congrats on the additions. Life is good here. Keep in touch.

Angie said...

Oh my gosh! Congratulations you guys! It was exactly one year ago that I went through all this with Austin. I'm so happy that the girls are doing good and I'm sure they will continue to grow and strengthen every day. They are so adorable! Know that you are in our prayers.