Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In my last post (October 29th) I said that our twins would be home in a week and a half to two and a half weeks, that was based on what the doctor said about the girls progress. Well here we are almost four weeks later and those stinkers are still at the hospital. However, things are looking good for our girls to come home in the next few days.

The reason that they are not home yet is that they are not eating completely on their own. Abby and Claire did very well with their feedings in the first few weeks but seamed to reach a plateau in the last few weeks. In the last few days however, they have been getting several full feeding on their own.

Tomorrow (Sunday) Kasey will be going to the hospital for a 12 hour test. If the girls eat on their own for the full twelve hours they will go to a 24 hour test. If they pass that then they can come home. They have told us that the girls should be home by Thanksgiving.

Abby and Claire have taken turns with who is doing better than the other. On the day they were born Abby had no issues while Claire needed lots of tests and treatment. Then Claire showed more progress than Abby for a few weeks. In the last few days Abby is eating a little better than Claire. The competition between siblings has already begun.

Last week at church someone said to me that he was surprised that Kasey and I aren't more stressed with this whole thing. I told him that we do have our moments. First off, we would be very stressed if the girl’s health were in question. If that were the case I am sure that we would have a hard time even leaving the hospital. We have been fortunate that Abby and Claire have been healthy since day one. The stressful part of this whole thing has been trying to live regular lives while dedicating several hours a day to taking care of the girls thirty miles from our other children. Kasey gets down sometimes because she can't bring the twins home. I get frustrated not having my wife home. But at the end of the day we are immensely grateful that our girls are healthy and that we live in an age and country where our children can get this kind of care. Plus, having babies in the NICU is a cakewalk compared to seeing Obama get elected and watching the stock market every day:)

6 comments:

The Foulgers said...

Your babies are absolutely precious! I can't wait to meet them. I'm happy that they are getting so close to coming home. That would be a wonderful Thanksgiving for your family!

Amanda Finlinson said...

Oh my heart goes out to you guys! It is by far the hardest thing in the whole world having babies in the nicu for so long. It was the same way for my girls...one was always doing better than the other, and they were always trading places on who was in first place! I hope that you will be able to bring both girls home on the same day! We brought Camden home, and then a whole week later brought Emma home. It was so stressful not having them together! Anyway, I know what you are going through! If you need to talk..please call! We love you guys!
Your girls are just beautiful! What a blessing!

Loni said...

Yeah, I am so excited for you guys to finally be at the end of it all! I hope and pray that they come home soon!! Having the whole family home together will be such a JOY!!

Natalie said...

ohhh, they are soo cute!! I am keeping my fingers crossed that they get to come home this week!

Leandra said...

You know what was so awesome at Primarys NICU was they had a waiting room/play area for the kids. I loved when Tays & Braylee could be up there and somewhat included. We could just take turns being with the baby and then being with the older 2. I didn't even know they had that play area though for the first week or so. If you haven't already, you might want to ask Provo if they have something like that.

grammajill said...

We are all SO sad that they haven't come home. I can't wait to hold them all the day long if I want to. I think THEY want to come home to, soon we can ask them as they will be able to walk and talk before they will let them come home... BOOOOO!
Soon we hope! We pray for them every day!