Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Power of Recording, Documenting, and Remembering

I used to have a really good memory.  I still do in some respects, but I have felt the veil of forgetfulness sinking in over the years.  

Feelings, experiences, and memories fade over time.  Some last forever.  Big things.  Life-changing things.  But I forget the little things.  The little moments.  People's names. Tiny impressions.  Some are forgotten or crowded almost instantly.  Some hold a little longer.  But they get fuzzy.

I don't want to forget.  I want to always remember all the little things that have shaped me over the years.  Little things that touch my heart.  Little impressions that guide me each day.  Little tender mercies that my Heavenly Father bestows upon me.  They are such precious gems in life.  

But HOW?  How can I remember?  How can I seal them into my heart and mind?  Never to be forgotten?

Recording them.  Documenting them.  I was reminded last night while talking to my dear friends Serene and Andrea that this is what solidifies those things.  Not just on paper but in our minds.  

The topic of conversation was daily scripture study.  I told them that I am not the best at reading my scriptures each day, but over the years I have tried to make an effort to do just that.  Lately my scripture study has become really great.  The problem is that I will read, get impressions and feelings, and then the day starts.  Life happens and it crowds out the things that I was thinking about or feeling.  Often times I will try to remember what I learned that morning and I won't even remember what I READ!  

No wonder Heavenly Father has to keep teaching me the same lessons OVER AND OVER again!  It's because I forget!

So in an attempt to remember I am going to document.  I am going to record my thoughts on here.  I will also carry a notebook with me to record things that touch me during the day.  

Taking pictures of my life reminds me of how much fun I am having.  Recording, documenting, and acting on my impressions will remind me of how blessed I am and how much the Lord helps me each day.  

"Oh remember, remember..." Alma 37:13

There is power in this.

1 comment:

Cameron, Jenny and Family said...

Amen! I was so happy when I opened up a blog book recently and read about how Brooke used to say "My DaTurn" when she wanted to do something herself. I totally forgot that and am sure wouldn't have remembered, if I hadn't written it down. Makes my heart feel a little nervous that I'm not jotting down all that I want to. I think I need to move recording and documenting a little higher on my priority list. I'm tired of laundry and daily messes getting in the way :)

On another note, not only would we be BFF's, but I know that Dane and Jake would be. I loved your post on Jake. He's one handsome kid! Sounds like such a sweetie, too. I hope a class at school or sport team bring them together.