Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Power of Service

This morning I am thinking about service.

To me, service is care given or work done for the benefit of God and others.  It is sacrificing your own wants and desires to help lift and bless another.

But why do we do this?  Is it not counter-intuitive that we would be happier satisfying our own wants?  Why does serving others help us?

In pondering this, I came across this scripture in the Book of Mormon.

"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God."
                        - Mosiah 2:17 -

Serving others is our way to serve God.

It is trying to align our will, with the will of our Father in Heaven.

Usually the things that we want right now, only have fleeting gratification.  The things that God wants for us, offer lasting happiness.  Service is one of those things.

So are we being shafted by giving up our wants for God and others?

I will let Him speak for Himself.

"For thus saith the Lord - I, the Lord, am merciful and gracious unto those who fear me, and delight to honor those who serve me in righteousness and in truth unto the end."

Other stated blessings from service:
1. Great reward and glory.
2. He will reveal His mysteries and will concerning the His children.
3. The wonders of eternity will be revealed to us.
4. Great wisdom and understanding.
5. And for the one that stuck out to me the most this morning - "For by my Spirit will I enlighten them, and by my power will I make known unto them the secrets of my will..."
            - Doctrine and Covenants 76:5-10 -

I need and want all these blessings in my life.

No wonder service brings happiness.  When we set aside our wants and desires to serve others, we serve Him.  When we serve Him, He is merciful and strengthens us.  

I am grateful for the opportunities He has given me to serve.  It is a privilege.  Time to serve.   

No comments: