Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring Break 2013 : Part 1

For anyone living in Utah, you know how cold January and even February were this year?  

Well, by the time Spring Break rolled around in March we (meaning me) had had enough.  I needed some warm weather to get me through until summer! :)  So we decided to head south, and visit Trev's sister, Megan and her family in Gilbert, AZ.  With a few stops along the way...

First stop, Bryce Canyon National Park to hike the "Hoodoo's."  This place was really pretty, but I struggled a bit.  My anxiety was pretty high with my kids who were trying to run every which way next to huge cliff drop-offs!  I wasn't a very nice mommy.  But once we got down into the canyon I relaxed a lot.  I have my mom's tendency to get anxious.  And although I try to fight it, sometimes it gets the better of me.  And drives my kids and husband a little nuts.  Better safe than sorry right? ;)





















  
By the time we were back to the car we were all pretty dirty.  The kids just wanted to go to the hotel and swim so we headed back, ate dinner, swam, and went to bed.  After a 3 hour drive to get there, were all pretty wiped out.

The next morning we got up, and while we got packed up in the van (aka Lighten Family Truckster), the kiddos perfected their scootering and rip-sticking skills.






They are all getting pretty good at those things I tell ya!

Before leaving Bryce and the beautiful Hoodoos, there was one more hike we wanted to hit.  Mossy Cave.  This was much more enjoyable for me.  Not scary cliffs, just fun outdoors.


















These kids sure love to explore.  I love that they are developing a love of the outdoors.  I hope it sticks. :)

The next place we were headed was Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon.  We decided to take a "shortcut" and wound up traversing a dirt road with a few little hiking spots along the way. It was supposed to save a lot of time, and it did, but all I could think about was that I was taking my new car on a dirty, rocky road. I was just counting the minutes until we got to pavement. :)  But I have to say, the views were pretty spectacular and the route saved a couple of hours.  






I don't think I have ever seen the sky so blue than it was out there!  Breathtaking.

Favorite thing about Part 1 of our trip?  Hiking and having great family time in the outdoors.  

Next stop:  Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, and Sedona...ooh Sedona! :)

1 comment:

Lindsay and Mike said...

We are doing a National Park road trip this summer & hitting up some of the National Parks we've never been to before. Both Bryce & Grand Canyon are on the list, so I'll have to get the low down from you sometime before we go. :)