Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Boy's Trip to Seattle

I was spoiled this year for Christmas.  I got an awesome new phone and...

I GOT A NEW VAN!!!

Earlier in the year, I traded in my van for a Mercury Mountaineer.  Which I loved.  Except it continued to break down.  After about $1200 in repairs and more on the horizon...I had had enough.  So Trev and I decided it was time to get a good car, lower miles, that would last a long time.

I have ALWAYS wanted a big SUV.  My SUV of choice would probably be a Chevy Suburban.  I LOVE those cars.  They are beautiful, roomy, 4-wheel drive, and would make me feel like a million bucks driving around.

Problem is they cost a million bucks too.  Ok, slight exaggeration, but they are very expensive to purchase (especially when I like my cars fully-loaded :)) and the cost of gas just makes them sooo expensive.

So after a LOT of agonizing, and eating some humble pie, I decided to do something I swore I would never do again.  Buy and drive a mini-van.  Again. :)

THIS time however, I told my dear husband, that I needed it to be SWEET!!!  So being the great husband he is, he found me a fantastic new van.  It is a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country, black, leather, 3 dvd's, auto-everything, and my favorite feature...REMOTE START AND HEATED STEERING WHEEL!!!

I ABSOLUTELY love it.  Even if it is a van. :)

I have not regretted the decision for a minute.  I am glad that I set aside my pride (because really that is what my big problem with the van always was) and went with something that suits my practical needs, and most of my wants too. :)

Perhaps one day I will have the nice SUV I want.  But today, I will embrace and enjoy my van.

So there's my soapbox.  On to how we got it.

My brother-in-law is a car dealer and bought our van at an auction in Seattle a couple weeks before Christmas.  So in order to get it we would either have to pay to ship it, or just fly up there and drive it back.  We decided it might be a good time for Trev and Jake to take their first boys' trip.  So that is what they did.

Here are the highlights of their fun weekend:

1.  Flying on an airplane.  Meeting the captain.



2. Seeing the sights in Seattle.  Pike's Market and eating out.





















3.  Visiting a Gingerbread House expo.  Can you tell which houses these belong to?












Pretty amazing, huh?!

4.  Battling a major snow storm in the mountains coming back.  No pictures of this.  Just a mental picture in my mind of Trev white-knuckling the steering wheel concerned about making through the storm while Jake sits comfortably in the back, headphones and heated seat, watching movie after movie on the dvd, barely aware it is snowing.  Me talking to Trev on the phone hoping to offer comfort. :)

They had a great time together, and their already rock-solid relationship was strengthened even further.  Plus I got a great car.  What a great trip! :)

1 comment:

Tyra Shortino said...

Maybe the van is just the better fit for your lifestyle now, in reasons you’d probably discover in the coming days. :) And yeah, don’t regret it! I personally prefer a van over an SUV. I’m addicted to boxy frames, and a van has, apparently, the boxier frame between the two. Plus, it can be as classy and roomy as your dream car. So, maybe this would do for now. :) -->Tyra Shortino