Monday, December 26, 2011

100 Years of Girl Scouts!

My little girl (M) is an official Brownie Scout (2nd Grade Girls in Girls Scouts of America).  I was a Brownie Scout as a little girl too, so when we found out that there was a troop in our area, we were both super-excited!  She started in September and has loved every minute of it.  I was lucky enough to see why a couple of weeks ago when I went to be the "mom helper."  It quickly became one of those neat mom moments.  


Here is why:
1.  Each girl was supposed to come with a themed paper on a topic they would be discussing that night.  Morgan's topic was hope.  As usual, I had planned to help her with it, but I got so busy with other things that she pretty much wrote it on her own.  With such a ominous word, I worried that she wouldn't know what to say.  However, when she read me what she wrote, I was really impressed.  She said, she thought hope was when you believe in something like God, families, or love.  She also wrote that she has hope that she will be able to live with her family forever and her Heavenly Father.  What a sweetheart this little girl is...she has always been very sensitive to the spiritual things.  This was just another confirmation of that fact for me.  Here she is sharing her thoughts on hope with her fellow Brownie Scouts and listening to the other girls'.






2. After each girl shared their papers, the girls got to decorate "100 Year" posters to take to the GSA 100 Year Birthday Celebration in March.  My cute friend Kelli, who is one of the troop leaders brought TONS of craft supplies for the girls to decorate their posters!  They had so much fun just chatting and crafting. :)








Do you love that cheese-ball smile??? :)


3. Once the girls were finished decorating, the meeting ended with a fun game of musical chairs, a Christmas story, and a truly touching gift to each of the girls from their leaders.  They gave them little charm bracelets that had the words, Faith, Hope, Love, etc., on each dangling charm.  It was the sweetest thing every!!  The told them these charm bracelets were to remind them of everything a girl scout stands for.  I didn't get a picture of these adorable gifts, but they were sooo cute.  This probably made my night, just seeing what amazing leaders my daughter is blessed to be led by.  These little girls don't even know how good they have it!




4. The last reason this night was so special was that I just got a little time to focus on my sweet Morgan.  I have come to find with 4 kids, and a young set of twins, it gets tricky to give each child all the individual time and attention I wish I could.  This is why this night was a special mom moment for me...it was a chance to spend some special time with my special daughter.  I love this cute Brownie Scout!