Sunday, October 23, 2011

Conference Weekend - Oct 2011


A couple weeks ago was General Conference.  For those of you not of our faith, General Conference happens two times a year - April and October.  It is something I look forward to each time it comes around.  Basically, it is a conference that the leaders of our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) speak to the entire church.  It is 2 days, 4 sessions, broadcasted throughout the world, and an event I truly love and look forward to.  This is also when we get to hear from our beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson.  He is a wonderful man and I always love to hear him speak.  For more info on that check out www.lds.org .

The conference itself is held at the Conference Center on Temple Square in Downtown SLC.  They broadcast it locally and throughout the world, and so everyone is able to see it.  We are lucky enough to be able to watch it in the comfort of our home. :)

This time around we hosted Trev's family for breakfast and the Sunday morning session.  I have no pictures from the breakfast because it was well...busy. :)  I think we had 17 kids and 9 adults. :)  The bfast spread included eggs benedict, chocolate biscuits and gravy, homemade hashbrowns, and some sort of tropical pancakes that I can't remember the name of...but oh, I still can remember the taste...AMAZING!! :)  After bfast it was time for conference...and it was a good thing too, because I think we could all hardly move from being so stuffed. :)

Not long after everyone headed back home, the afternoon session began.  The house was quiet, and something truly magical happened in our home.  I was able to watch conference pretty much uninterrrupted!!!  This has not happened to me pretty much since I became a mother. :)  In fact, I had basically resigned myself to the fact that I would always hear some, and then have to re-read the rest of the talks when the Ensign came out the following month.  But this time was different...Why you might ask???  I stumbled on something GREAT...Conference Bingo!!! 

Conference Bingo is simply a Bingo card with the words like, scriptures, faith, Jesus Christ, Holy Ghost, etc., in each square.  The markers were dried pinto beans and the kids had to see how many bingos they could get in one session of conference.  The player with the most bingos by the end was the winner and got a prize (a tootsie pop).

It was SERIOUSLY the most amazing thing.  My kids were intently listening to every word the speakers said, I could listen intently to every word the speakers said, it was reverant, it was magical.  Truly.  These pictures are proof! :)  This is Morgan with her cousins, Liberty and Saylor.  Looking at this just fills up my heart. :)





I love this...seeing my sweet hubby just enjoying conference...


Maybe it got a little too relaxing... :)

These are moments worth an expression of gratitude - thank you fabulous speakers for inspiring me all throughout the year, but especially at General Conference time; thank you family for such fun memories and sinfully delish food; thank you Conference Bingo for changing my Conference experience; and lastly, THANK YOU Father in Heaven for these special experiences as a wife, mother, and thy daughter.  My heart is full.

Caveat: This worked for M&J, and A&C watched a movie downstairs.  But it gives me hope for the future. :)

What a great weekend.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Hey... it's been too long since I've been over to see you. Your family room is all different. It looks beautiful!