Saturday, December 11, 2010

A little service at Christmas time...

For the last few months, Trev and I have been trying to think of, and find ways we can help our kids learn the value of serving others.  Especially at Christmas time. 
My Morgan has always been the type of kid that is very considerate and caring of others.  She has an innate desire to serve others.  This is a trait in her that I want to encourage and help her develop; however, I have to admit sometimes it can get to be a little much.  Every time a kid in school, church, the neighborhood, etc., falls and gets hurt she comes in and wants to bake them a batch of cookies or brownies and make get well cards.  I find myself asking her questions about the "severity" of the injury or incident. :) 
So when my mom had surgery on her kidney stones a few weeks ago, I thought, "OK!  Finally a real "need-based" situation she can help with."  I decided to take Morgan up to my mom's house the Saturday after the surgery and give her a chance to serve with me by helping my sweet mom.  I deep cleaned my mom's house, and Morgan and my cute little sister, Jessica, got out the Christmas decorations out and decorated the house for Christmas.  I got to chat with my mom, which doesn't happen too often, clean, and watch Morgan spending time with her aunt, and doing something she is naturally good at...serving.  










    What a great day!  I am grateful to have a loving family.

No comments: