Friday, October 10, 2014

Fall Break in California - Part 2 (Amusement Parks)

The main portion of our trip was spent on the beach, but we also went to a couple of amusement parks.

Now, typically speaking we are not really an amusement park-type family.

We are nature lovers.  So we would much rather be enjoying the outdoors than at an amusement park.  Or at least Trev and I are...our kids also seem happier in these settings as well.  Their attention spans seem to last a lot longer when not waiting in lines forever.

But let's be honest, those parks sure are fun sometimes.

We just don't go that often.

In fact, our little girls are 6 and had never been to Disneyland.  So this trip we decided to go ahead and take them.

They would be old enough to both appreciate it and remember it, so we felt like we needed to do it.

We decided to spend one day in Disneyland, and another day at Knott's Berry Farm - another park we hadn't been too.

First up, Disneyland.

Before I share the pictures I have to jump on a little soap box here.

I am always amazed at how Disney has somehow convinced every parent in the world that taking your child to Disneyland is such an important experience in their life.

Because they been so successful in this conditioning to the parents, they also have the ability to charge a whole heck of a lot of money for the experience.  Because we will all pay it, right?!

So you gulp down the cost and pray that the day is all you dream it will be.

Well I have to say that the last two times we have done this I have experienced the same emotion.  Disappointment and frustration.

You see, when you spend $600 in one day on your family, you expect that the amount of joy, bonding, and fun you have will be worth the pot of gold you spent on it.

The cost and expectations of the happiest place on earth are both astronomical.  

My disappointment and frustration comes from unrealistic and unmet expectations.

Next time I go, if there is a next time, I will just have to remind myself of these little facts.

I will assume that the lines will be long, even on a "light attendance" day.  

I will assume some of my kids will want to be daring and ride the older rides, and others will want to stay close to the kiddie ones.  

I will assume that I will not be able to see my favorite part - the parades, singing, dancing, and fireworks shows because my kids are beat by the end of the day and can't last.

I will remember that we don't need to ride every ride to get our money's worth.

I will remember that me getting huffy and bugged will actually make the experience worse for everyone.

A reminder I was given by Morgan just this morning as she saw the pictures and we talked about the experience.

I will remember that we are there to have fun.  I will roll with whatever that means and let go of all my expectations.

If there is a next time.

Which I am sure there will be since we have another little princess on her way that we will simply HAVE to take.  

Luckily I have a few years to prepare myself again.

Sooo....with all that being said...here are the pictures from the day.  








Ummm...yeah.  I guess that is all the pictures I have of our "magical" day! :(

One of the biggest reasons I got super huffy about it.  So much money, no pictures to remember the good parts.  

The best part of the day for me was getting to Ruby's Diner and finding out kids eat free that day.  

Tender mercy.

Our next amusement park was MUCH better!  We decided to try Knott's Berry Farm.  A lot cheaper, and empty.  It was the perfect amusement park day.

A welcomed treat after Disney. :)

And you can bet I got more pictures this time...except for of the boys.  They were off doing the big rides.  We met up with them after hanging with the Peanuts Gang in the kiddie area.






















We rode the Log ride about 10 times because there was no one there.  Watched a cowboy showdown which Jake got pulled into.  Loved the mousetrap roller coaster and even stopped to buy Knott's Berry jam cookies as a treat on the way out.

We all were much happier with this experience.  

Most noticeably me...which winds up affecting how everyone else feels about it too. :)

Like I said, amusement parks aren't really our thing - but overall we had a good time and I would do it again.

Just differently and with the correct expectations.

2 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

I think in order to love Disneyland, you have to go for multiple days. We usually buy a five day pass when we go, and then we just go at our own pace. We'll go to the park for awhile, then go back to the hotel to swim or take naps, and then go back to the park in the evening. Everyone seems to be a lot happier that way, and there's no pressure to cram in every ride on one day. Just a thought for when you go back...notice I said "when" not "if" because you will go back. Parents always do. :)

Kasey Lighten said...

Um... how much does that cost actually:)?