Sunday, September 23, 2012

THE Newport Beach and Fashion Island

Part 3 - Boogey-boarding at Newport Beach, Eating on the Pier, Losing Morgan, and Shopping at Fashion Island 

Newport Beach was the official destination.  It WAS the reason we headed South. :)  We made getting there a top priority.  

After a quick stop to Trader Joe's for snacks, we were on our way.
With only a hop, skip, and a jump onto a ferry ride - we were there.  Balboa Island.





After coordinating to find parking, unloading all the necessary beach equipment, and a bit of walking we were on the beach.

Then came setting up shop with the intention to stay a LONG time, sunscreen, and some quick hydrating...





And we were ready to play!  Holy smokes, play we did!


















After awhile we went looking for this yummy doughnut shop our friends like that is up by the Pier.  We never found it, but by the time we got there we were all pretty hungry so we grabbed a bite to eat.  It hit the spot quite nicely. :)




Then we headed back for more beach fun.  We stayed until the sunset.  Jake collected sea crabs.  It was breathtaking.









Since Newport Beach round 1 went so well, we decided to do another day there.  It went pretty much the same way. 

That is until something bad happened.  We LOST MORGAN.  We on our way to the showers after a long fun day in the sun.  We walked along the sand, and she wanted to walk along the boardwalk which ran parallel to our route.  I could see her so I told her to go for it.  Well, I forgot to keep looking, she couldn't see the showers from the boardwalk, and kept walking.  And walking.  And walking.

I kept waiting, and then my heart started pounding.  Then came crying, praying, and just about hyperventilating.  We searched but could not find her anywhere.  It is very scary the scenarios your mind starts contemplating in these moments.

We alerted the lifeguards, and just as I was about to alert the authorities I received a phone call.  A nice woman who lived along the boardwalk saw Morgan crying and helped her out.  She called my phone and I ran down to get her.  She was 6 blocks down the beach!  We both cried, Trev picked us up.  It was very scary and makes my heart race thinking about it.  How grateful I am for prayer, good samaritins, and a daughter who knows her mom's cell phone number.

After that little scare, I was ready for a little time away from the beach.  So M, Jess, and I went to Fashion Island. :)

The first store we hit was FOREVER 21.


Where we saw Tapanga from Boy Meets World...remember that show???!!!









I have to say, I must be sort of a cheapskate.  I love to look in stores like this, but am always just aghast at the prices people are willing to pay for the stuff!  Don't you agree??  Wow.  That's all I can say.

Next stop:  more beach...this time, fancy-schmancy, ritzy "Montage". 

2 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

I love Fashion Island! We always laugh at the cars that are parked in the valet parking there & joke about how some of them cost as much as our house. You can always tell who the tourist are & who the rich OC people are when you shop there.

Lindsay and Mike said...

And so scary about Morgan. I would have been flipping out!!! Thank goodness all turned out well.