Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Family Vacation 2012: Newport Beach, California!

I would like to officially welcome you to a "way-to-many parts" series on our fantastic family vacation this year....(drumroll please!)


DESTINATION: NEWPORT BEACH, CA!

Documenting this great trip will be lengthy, so I am going to break it up into parts - partly for my sanity, but also because I don't want to forget any of the fun. ;)

So here we go... 


PART 1: "Enjoying the Journey"

So I have a confession...I actually really enjoy long car rides with my family!  There is just something so bonding about being in tight quarters for long periods of time with those you love!    

Now, I know some kids REALLY struggle with this, but so far, our kids haven't.  That could be due to our "all-access" policy to technology in these situations. :)  But really, what's the harm in letting them just veg-out once in a while??  They are happy, which translates into relaxation and long, largely uninterrupted conversations for me and my sweetheart - which makes me happy.  And we all know that if mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! :)

We began our journey, dark and early.  We left around 4 a.m., thinking and hoping that the kids would transfer nicely into the car and sleep for a few more hours while we made the 10 hour drive down there...well, they didn't. Once we moved them, they were all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  I mean really, how could you not be?  Excitement smothered the car the entire way. :)  

These pictures were taken a few hours into it.  







The cute teenager in the back is my little sister, Jessica.  She is the BEST!  More on her later. :)

We stopped at the Golden Arches in St. George for breakfast, and cruised through Vegas in the morning.  The kids were enthralled by the big hotels on along the strip.  It is pretty amazing really.  The architecture of those places still boggles my mind.






Vegas will always have a special place in my heart from the couples years we lived there early in our marriage.  Great people, great times. :)

Journeying onward...coloring, reading, music, cat naps, funny liscense plates...do your car rides look similar??









Getting closer!!!  Then we hit So. Cal traffic...ugh! :(  Lucky for us it didn't take too long.  We were all ready to get out by this point.



Can I just ask???  How do you Cali people stand this all the time?  Does it drive you nuts??

After 10 hours, a few tanks of gas, and authentic family bonding complete, we arrived safely to our condo in heaven where we would spend the next 7 days of fun! :)  

Stay tuned for the next installment...

Part 2: Marriott Newport Beach Villas, and Crystal Cove

4 comments:

Maughan"sters" said...

And we had so much fun with you, that you are invited every year!!!

Donna said...

Looking at the pictures, it definitely seemed like the ride to the beach was fun in itself! It can be a challenge for parents to keep the kids quiet and well-behaved on trips. But distracting them with gadgets looks like it worked for you! And Vegas is always a great sight to behold! :)

Regards,
Donna Parsley

Unknown said...

You took great pictures! I have never left the east coast and neither has my boyfriend. I have been looking up Newport Beach vacation rentals because I want to surprise him with a vacation for Christmas. I even talked it all out with his boss. I can't wait to see his face. Do you have any recommendations on what to do while we are there? Thanks for sharing!

Darius Cartmell said...

Well, you have a point, Kasey. There’s no harm in letting your kids deal with technology during your journey if that is your way to tame them. But once you get to your destination, it’s best to cut down the use of technology, so you can genuinely spend some time together. =)

Darius Cartmell