Monday, July 9, 2012

A Heavy Dose of Perspective

Today I took my kids to the my friend's pool. We had a great time.  The kids loved it.  I loved it.  We ate lunch, chatted, and just soaked up the sun.  The uplifting feelings of friendship and love were filling my soul.  


Then something happened.  A group of teenagers came.  You know the ones.  The lost kind.  The ones that have forgotten who they are.  


There was one girl, and about 5 boys.  The spirit of the environment changed completely when they arrived.  My kids watched them closely.  My friend and I watched them closely.  My heart ached for this girl who I knew was just looking for love and acceptance but in all the wrong ways and in all the wrong places.  


The boys, (with the exception of one) were obnoxious and loud.  They were profane in front of ladies and children.  They had no regard for public property.  They CLEARLY had no guidance.  


I wondered, where are their parents?  Where are those people who need to guide them?  I am not trying to pass judgement on anyone, but these kids clearly need someone.  They need to be reminded of who they are and engaged in good things.  


I was slightly annoyed with them, but mostly my heart just hurt for them. In addition, my kids didn't understand.  They were conflicted and I was in no frame of mind to explain things to them, nor did I know how.  All I could say was that they were examples of teenagers who had forgotten who they are, and their choices were reflections of that.  


We promptly left, and as we were leaving I thought, wait.  I think I know one of those boys!  I THINK his older brother was one of my "sons" on Trek a few years ago.  I am still not sure if that was him or not, but I was disappointed just the same.  I hope it as not him.


Thinking on it all now, I have realized a few things I need to remember with my kids as they grow:


1.  TEACH YOUR KIDS WHO THEY ARE!  They are children of God.  They have divinity inside them!  Make sure they KNOW who they represent.  Themselves, our family, our heritage, our future, and the Savior.  When they know who they are, they will rise to the standard.  It is those that are lost that falter more easily.  They look for identity.  They want acceptance.  Give it to them!


2.  Be GRATEFUL for my challenges now.  It is so much easier to break up a squabble in the car, than pull a teen away from spiritually draining friends.  My lot is good, oh so good.  


3.  BE THERE for my kids.  I will not abdicate the teaching of my children to the world.  They will learn from me and Trev.  We will teach them what they need to know to safely navigate an ever-diminishing world.  Trev and I are strong, and are certainly up to the task.  We have the gospel and all the tools we need.  Our kids need those as well.


4.  If they choose otherwise?  I can't afford to think about that right now.  They may, but I believe they often don't.  I firmly believe if we lovingly guide and teach them when they are young, that they will not depart from it.  I am holding strong to that principle.  I think it is far more often that children who "choose" opposite were not taught correctly in the first place.  I know this is not always the case, but I believe it holds true more often than not.  So IF that time comes that my kids "choose" different, it WILL NOT be because they weren't taught.  That is what I have control over.  That is the responsibility that I carry now.  We will be there parents in every sense of the word.


The adversary is here, trying to steal our children's hearts.  We as parents must be guardians of truth.  We must teach them.  We must prepare them.  They are looking to us to guide them.  They are strong and so are we.  We can do this!  I can do this.  With the Lord's help, I will do this.  Other trivial things do not matter.  This matters.  I am just grateful for the reminder.





No comments: