Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Morgan hits double digits (10)!

Ten years.  Seriously?!

How did she go from this:







To this:






And this:








All the way to this - her 10th Birthday!









Well, I am not sure how, but it happened.  She hit a decade on this earth.  That is sure something to celebrate! :)

So we did.  Heartily.

We originally had planned to be visiting our Colorado family over her birthday weekend so we decided to have her friend party the week before.  We only do these on even years so it was a big deal!  She decided since her big day falls in February and it is usually cold, to embrace the season and go ice skating with friends, and then come home for presents, donuts, and hot chocolate.  Pretty perfect if you ask me. :)  The plan was set and she was so excited to give out the invitations!

Before I go on, I have to say that this has been an interesting year with friends for M.  At the beginning of the school year, she was placed in a class away from her usual group of girls she has hung with for a few years; and as a result, started out 4th grade feeling pretty lonely.  

Over the past few months we have been helping her with friend-building/keeping skills, so as her birthday approached I encouraged her to invite a few girls from her class to her party since we could only take 3 in addition to her cousins.  This would give her a chance to really cement some of the friendships she had been working on.  So she picked these cute girls to come!


  
They all accepted and the anticipation started to rise.  The excitement was electric on our way down to Provo as they sang girly songs at the top of their lungs, laughed at each others jokes, and just enjoyed being together.

Once here:



We laced up their skates and I snapped pictures as they attempted to maneuver the ice.  They quickly found out it is not as easy as they make it look on the Olympics. :)





After a few times watching them vice-gripping the walls I decided I better get some skates and go help them.  

They caught on really fast and starting have a great time.  They were so cute and supportive of each other.  They would encourage each other and applaud when another would catch on to the little tricks they had just learned.  It was awesome to watch.  My heart was swelling the entire time!






Such sweet girls.

Afterwards, we headed home where Trev, Jake, and the matching girls were waiting with delectable spread of donuts and hot chocolate.  



Morgan opened her gifts while we snacked.






Then the friends headed home, and Morgan headed up to Grandma Jill's house to sew a backpack and pajamas for the evening.  Sewing is such a passion for her.  

It was such a fun day where a special 10 year old felt super-special!

The Top 10 Things I Adore about Morgan:
1.  She is so sweet and kind.  Always sensitive to others feelings and has genuine concern for them.
2.  She is sensitive to spiritual things.  We read scriptures, she gets it.  We have gospel discussions, she contributes in sentiments well beyond her years.  She sees things in the eternal perspective.
3.  She is SO witty!  She makes us laugh so hard with her intelligent quips.
4.  She is gorgeous.  I have always been jealous of her stunning hair and eyes.  I keep asking her if she will trade me. :)
5.  She is a great friend and is learning so much about what that means.  This year I have seen her do so many hard things that take her out of her comfort zone.  My heart has just about burst with pride as I have watched her have the courage to do things many adults struggle doing to be a good friend, make new friends, and hold on to friends.
6.  She is a great chef.  I know I can count on her to make me delicious chocolate chip cookies at a moments notice.  They are honestly better than mine.  How I enjoy cooking alongside her just chatting as we bake.
7.  Her art.  She is truly an artist.  Drawing is her preferred medium.  She is great at it.  Her favorite things to draw are people.  Dork Diaries style.  I really think she may be an illustrator one day.  She also is a great writer, seamstress, baker, and pianist.  I love to see and experience her creations.
8.  Her obedient and responsible nature.  Morgan has always been the girl that wants to make others happy, especially her parents.  She stands firm for what she believes in but is also very obedient to truth.  I love that about her.  She is also the BEST babysitter we have ever had.  I never worry about  the home or kids when she is in charge.  So responsible.
9.  She is my friend.  Morgan and I have always been close, but over the years we have developed a deep friendship.  We get each other.  We are personality twins.  We are BFF's.  I am certain she will care for me when I am old, as I have tried to care for her as she has grown.  We are kindred spirits.
10.  She made me a mother.  She is patient and forgiving of me as I have learned along with her how to do this ever important role.  How deeply grateful I am for that.  She is my oldest, and lucky for me she is great at it.

Wow, it is hard to believe she is 10.  Truly.  And my mothering heart tells me to hold on to every second because the years race past.

I could not ask for a better daughter.  I sure love you my sweet ML!  Thanks for being such a joy. 

1 comment: