Friday, May 14, 2010

PTA Convention...

I have spent the last two days down at BEAUTIFUL BYU, learning all about what my new role/responsibilities will be as the Legislative VP on our new school's PTA board. Whew! It was really an amazing experience and VERY inspiring. The best part of it was how many people there are out there just trying to support and help children in every aspect of their lives. All volunteers, all hardworking, and all anxiously engaged in a good cause. There is something so powerful about being in the service of others. I am just feeling incredibly blessed to be apart of it, and I encourage all parents, grandparents, friends, etc., to volunteer within the schools in your areas. This is where you have great influence for good in your communities, and it doesn't even take that much time...however, the benefits are immense for both the children and yourself. So VOLUNTEER! :)

Lastly, there were a couple of seminars that I attended that not only made me a better volunteer for my school, but will CERTAINLY make me a better mother to my children. One seminar in particular, was on teaching kids to stay away from drugs and alcohol. The presenter was an amazing woman named, Heather Anderson. She was Miss Utah in 2007, and the 6th runner-up to Miss America. She is a beautiful, intelligent, and inspiring woman. Her platform is about keeping kids off drugs and alcohol. She has lost her baby brother to drugs as a result of an overdose. It was HEARTBREAKING to hear her story and see the pain this woman and her sweet family had been through, and continue to deal with. It made me think how important it is to talk to my children about these tough subjects. Drugs and alcohol devastated this family. Trev and I need to do whatever I can to try and avoid this from happening in our home. If you haven't talked to your children about staying away from drugs and alcohol...do so now! This woman had drugs first offered to her in the second grade...it is NEVER too early to start talking to your kids, because if you don't...someone else will. Let us all protect our kids.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I am so glad to read your post. I am all about getting more involved in our community and schools. I love volunteering at the elementary and can't wait to get more invloved. Good for you for being the VP that is a huge commitment.